1909 Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Ogle County, IL Vol. 2, Munsell Bros., Chicago, IL
URIAS BRANTNER, though a member of the retired colony of Polo, which he joined after many years of farming in his native township Lincoln, Ogle County, Urias Brantner still is an integral part of the working forces of his community, and among other responsibilities is creditably discharging that of Supervisor, which he continually has held since 1895. Mr. Brantner has closely woven his career into the history of this section of the state as a farmer, soldier and politician, and thus adds to the work of advancement achieved by the sons of Marylanders, than whom no more helpful class of people have realized the fertility and general advantages of this county. His father, Michael Brantner was born in Washington Co., Md., August 23, 1816, and some time after his location in Ogle County, was united in marriage with Mary Ann Phillips, a native of Pennsylvania. The young people began their wedding life amid the most humble of surroundings, but preserved untiringly until success rewarded their efforts and they were in a position of comparative affluence. Of their eleven children the following attained maturity: SAMUEL, a farmer in Lincoln Township; JOHN, a farmer of Minnesota; JOSEPH and JACOB, residents of Iowa; ALMA, wife of George GARMAN, of Rockford, Ill.; and CHARLES B., of Lincoln Township. Urias Brantner was born on his father’s farm in Lincoln Township, August 14, 1847, and was reared with the average advantages of farmers’ sons. That he is a man of more than average information and progressiveness is due mainly to his own efforts, as he has been in constant student of newspapers and current literature, and has kept well in advance of the United States in particular. He engaged in farming continuously until 1899, in that year moving to Polo, where he now makes his home. He is the owner of eighty-four acres of land in Mount Morris Township, with other property in Lincoln Township. He was a practical and energetic farmer, as evidenced by his comparatively early retirement, and he set an example of noble and helpful adaptation to a time honored and profitable calling. Ever since casting his first presidential vote, Mr. Brantner has been with the Republican party, and he has held many important offices in Lincoln Township, including that of member and clerk of the School Board for twenty-three years, and Supervisor since 1895. Since the Civil War he has been active in Grand Army affairs, and is a member of the John M. Smith Post, No. 720, of Mount Morris. He was a brave and valiant soldier when calling upon to defend the Union flag in 1864, serving nearly six months in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry.