Early Confirmation Classes at
St. James Church
30 April 1899
Back row: Charles Stengel; Anna Borneman; Benjamin
Horst; John Horst.
Front row: Emma Wilt; Clara Diehl; George Horst.
The CLASS OF 1899 was evidently confirmed by either
Professor Max or L. Fritschel of Wartburg Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa
who served in the Stone Church from 1899 to 1904. The Seminary
students who also served in the Stone Church may also have taught
the confirmation classes part of the time. The class sessions
were probably taught in homes. The visiting pastors usually came
by train to Freeport on Saturdays and stayed at the homes of the
members. Services were usually held in the church on Sunday afternoons
and at times only several times a month. In the winter months
when the weather was not good, or in the spring when roads were
impassable, the service was held one or two Sundays a month.
Class of 1904 (no photo)
The CLASS OF 1904 was confirmed by Rev. Hossfield
who was pastor from 1904-1910. Members of this Class were: Fred
and John Borneman, Charles, Walter and Theodore Horst, Fred and
William Stengel, Mary Wilt, and Anna Goudy.
7 March 1907
Back row: John Borneman; William Stengel; Charles
Horst; Theodore Horst; Walter Horst.
Front row: Mary Wilt; Fred Borneman; Unidentified
Pastor; Frederick Stengel; Anna Gaude.
27 April 1930
Back row: Leland Henry Horst; Merville George Horst;
Emerson Henry Borneman.
Front row: Elverna Mae Borneman; Pastor August G.
Suechting; Margaret Lucille Tutt.
Back to St. James