Resided of this Vicinity Many Years—Sad Blow to an Unusually Happy Home

Announcement of the death of Mrs. Oliver C. Gloss at Dixon Hospital at an early hour Saturday morning was received by Mount Morris relatives and friends with feeling of deep grief and sorrow, although her death had been anticipated for several days previous.

Mrs. Gloss had been in poor health for more than a year and growing much worse two weeks ago, upon advice of her attending physicians; she was removed to the Dixon Hospital and submitted to a surgical operation in the hope that it might prolong her life. After the operation for a few days there seemed to be a decided improvement in her condition, but other complications setting in she grew worse and it became evident to those in attendance she could not survive. Her sorrowing husband and Mr. and Mrs. Roy Long were at her bedside when the final summons came.

Florence B., daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Francis W. Stonebraker was born near Mount Morris, Nov. 14, 1856, and all of her life was spent in this immediate vicinity and latterly in the village, to which removal was made from the farm. She died Oct. 14, 1911, at the age of 54 years and 11 months. She was united in marriage with Oliver C. Gloss, who survives, March 7, 1878 and to the union three children were born—Clayton and Mrs. Roy E. Long, both of Mount Morris and Elsie, who die in infancy. She leaves to mourn her passing away a brother and two sisters—Frank Stonebraker, Mrs. John Tice and Mrs. Edward Marvin—all of Mount Morris.

In early life Mrs. Gloss united with the M. E. Church and has ever lived a consistent religious life. She was a kindly wife and mother and ever enjoyed of a high degree the esteem and respect of a wide circle of friends. She will be greatly missed, not only by her family, but in the church and community as well.

Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock a brief service was held at the house by Rev. W. L. Wipple of Libertyville, Ill., a former pastor of the church here. At this service Prof. U. C. Nye sang very touchingly a hymn the deceased had some time previous requested he should do upon her death.

The remains were then conveyed to the church where services were conducted by Rev. Whipple, assisted by Rev. Charles V. Thornton, the present pastor, in the presence of a large concourse of relatives and friends. In the course of his funeral remarks, Rev. Whipple paid the following very beautiful tribute to the deceased:
While earth slept and heaven was awake, the beautiful spirit of mother, wife and sister took flight to the eternal day. Like that of the bird, her eye had been fixed upon the goal of rest before the flight was made. She loved the flowers of earth, the birds of the airs, the associations of home and friend. She loved life—life with its fullness of meaning. She longed for it and today more than her expectations she has it. She holes it; it holds her.

She was devoted. Shall we say that devotion ceases? No, for shall not that spirit come to guide us and will not find ourselves asking, What would mother do? And will not this be guiding star of life? Her heart and mind held many things her hands could not do, but will not. He who rewardeth where first is found a willing mind give generously unto her whose departure has made our loss so heavy and so sad? She left us in the prime of life and if in the world beyond, life never grows old, hers will evergreen.

Alas but for our selfishness, we could rejoice in her gain and triumph. But to walk alone and without her is a task that will make life hard.

We have little gifts by which to remember her, but more that these was the gift of self, the largest of all gifts; and as the leaf faded into the life of other leaves to beautify and glorify earth another years—so her life has faded, as expended into yours, into mine.
This day is sad and dark to us, but somewhere the sun is shining, and in that beautiful place where the saints immortal dwell; there ever last streams abide and never withering flowers. Death, like a narrow sea, divides that heavenly land from ours, and
Someday the silver cord will break
And I no more as now shall see,
But O the joy when I awake
Within the place of the King.
Some day my earthly house will fall,
I cannot tell how soon ‘twill be,
But this I know-my all in all
Has now a place in heaven for me.

Heaven is brought near today by this deposit—let us keep it near. Then when the summons comes when each shall take his chamber in the silent halls of death, see that thou go not as the quarry slave at night, driven to his cell, but sustained by a lively hope, approach thy grave like one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him and lies down to pleasant dreams. And this will not be death, for it is not death to die, to leave the weary road, to be at home with God.

The floral offerings for the deceased were very beautiful and numerous. Upon conclusion of the service at the church the remains were conveyed to Oakwood Cemetery where interment occurred on the family lot. The pall bearers were: William Davis, William Gaffin, Edward McCrady, Charles Sharer, Jacob O., Thomas and Arthur M. Newcomer, all life long friends of the deceased. The choir service was rendered by Prof. U. C. Nye, R. W. Hough and the Misses Minnie Rohrer and Vernie Williamson.
The family wish to extent their most heartfelt thanks to the neighbors and friend for the kindly assistance and consolation offered in the hour of their deepest sorrow.

Contributed by Jane Edson

Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site