Mount Morris Index, Mount Morris, IL

October 6, 1921 p. 1



Both Men Were Born and Raised in This Vicinity, and Families Were Among the Earliest Settlers of the Township.


Death of George Cheney

The Body of George Cheney arrived in Mount Morris on the noon train Tuesday and was taken to Oakwood Cemetery where it was interred beside that of his wife. Mr. Cheney died at the home of his brother-in-law, J. W. Piper, Sunday morning, after an extended illness which had confined him to his room for nearly six years.

The body was accompanied to Mount Morris by J. M. Piper, Mr. Cheney's son, Carl, and his wife, and the latter's father, M. B. Huether, of Rochelle. Many old time friends of Mr. Cheney accompanied the cortège to the cemetery, where burial services were conducted by Rev. George P. Kabele, of the Lutheran church.

We will print a more extended obituary next week of Mr. Cheney, who was an old-time resident of Mount Morris, and whose family dates back to the earliest days of settlement here.


Mount Morris Index, Mount Morris, IL

October 13, 1921 p. 2, col 1


Was Born in Mount Morris and Lived Here for Many Years -- Taken Ill Thirteen Years Ago.

George Shepard Cheney, and account of whose death and funeral was printed in last week's Index, died at the home of his son, Dr. Carl Cheney, DeKalb, Sunday morning, Oct. 2.

Mr. Cheney was born at Mount Morris, January 12, 1847, his parents being Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Cheney, early settlers of this township. His early life was spent in that vicinity. October 12, 1873, Mr. Cheney was married to Ida R. Mahoney, who passed away ten years later. To this union there were born two children, Dr. Carl Cheney, of DeKalb, and a daughter, Winifred, who died in childhood.

Mr. Cheney was later married to Miss Clara Allen, a sister of Charles Allen, of this place, who died at Freeport about seven years ago.

There are surviving the son, a grand child, Mary C. Cheney, a sister, Mrs. J. M. Piper, and a nephew, Edward C. Page, all of DeKalb, and several nephews and nieces are living.

Mr. Cheney had been a jeweler and metal worker until his ill health compelled him to give up all active work. He had been an invalid for the past 13 years, due to acid poisoning, and during this illness he had been closely confined to his room for over five years.

The deceased joined the Methodist church when a young man and lived up to the principles set forth by the church as far as was in his power.

Mr. Cheney was in the tinsmith business in Mount Morris for a number of years, coming here form Lanark. From here he removed to Freeport, where he worked at his trade until ill-heath compelled him to give up active work.

Contributed by Peg Allen Arnold

Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site