ISAAC CHAMBERS-- Was born east of the Allegheny Mountains, in Maryland or Virginia, (probably Maryland), December 27, 1783. In 1811 he married Ann LEE, and they came west soon after their wedding day. After stopping for a time in either Indiana or Ohio, they moved to Sangamon County, Ill., then a little later to the head of the Winnebago swamps. The next change was made to Galena, and it was while passing through the Rock River Valley, that Isaac CHAMBERS became impressed with the desirability of this location. In 1829, CHAMBERS left Galena, and came south of Buffalo Grove to a small grove now called White Oak Grove. Not liking this location, he went north a few days after John ANKENEY had marked out what he intended to be his claim, and he and his man WALKER began building near, but a little south of the crossing of Buffalo bridge and the Galena road. Here he established a tavern, as did John ANKENEY, although there was not enough patronage for one, and for smetime a bitter feud existed, but the necessities of the situation brought them together and made of them warm personal friends. In 1831, CHAMBERS sold the much disputed claim, and went to a little patch of timber, known as Hickory Point, later called Chambers' Grove. In 1832, CHAMBERS and his family sought safety during the Blackhawk War, in the fort at White Oak Springs, and their house was burned, but later he replaced it and built a small mill on the Elkhorn. A Miss O'KANE came to live with Isaac CHAMBERS and his wife, and she taught a little school at Mr. CHAMBERS' expense, during 1837. In 1844, CHAMBERS sold a part of his original claim, to Charles FRANKS, and took up his residence nearer his mill. The Chambers Cemetery is on his farm, and the first to be buried in it was an unfortunate women whom Mrs. CHAMBERS befriended. He was a Whig in politics and died December 23, 1845, aged sixty-two years, while his widow survived him until January 20, 1847, dying aged sixty-seven years, and both were buried in Chambers' Grove Cemetery. Mrs. CHAMBERS was familarly known as Nancy CHAMBERS, and was the first white woman to settle in Ogle County. It is believed that both Mr. CHAMBERS belonged to the Christian Church. They had an adopted daughter, Electra SPENCER, who married Edgar CLARK, and they lived in Polo for some years, but died in Kansas.
1909 Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Ogle County, IL Vol. 2, by Munsell Bros., Chicago, IL
Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site