JESSE CONWAY was born on the 22nd day of July 1843, and died on the 15th day of February, 1920, aged 76 years, 7 months and 23 days. Deceased was born near Byron, Illinois, and most of his life was spent in this vicinity.

During the war of the Rebellion he enlisted in the Union Army and proved himself a good soldier and faithful defender of the honored principles of true Americanism. For two years and nine months he marched and fought with the boys in blue, never wearying of the toils, dangers and hardships of that cruel war until a glorious and abiding victory was won.

Soon after his discharge from army life he was married to Miss Mary Stuart, to which two children were born: William, who died in infancy, and Florence, now Mrs. Florence Shubert, of Waterloo, Nebraska. His wife, Mary, died and during the fall of 1872 he was married to Miss Margaret Myers. To this union were born six children: Fred and Hattie, the latter dying in infancy, Oliver, George, John and Wilbur, of Oregon, Illinois. He had 17 grandchildren, fifteen of them living, and six great grandchildren. Miss Margaret Myers was a resident of Maryland and later came to northern Illinois, where she was married. Her birth occurred August 1, 1847 and she died February 16, 1920, aged 72 years, 6 months and 16 days.

With the above there are left to mourn his departure, together with his boon companion, one brother, Jerry, of Seattle, Washington, a minister of the Advent faith; and one sister Eliza Ann Morrill, of Aurora, Illinois.

To mourn the death of Mrs. Conway is one brother, William Myers, of Oregon, another brother John Henry Myers, of Rockford; Abram Myers, of Washington, D.C. and Elizabeth Pyfer, of Haldane, Illinois, and Anna Snyder, of Rockwell, Iowa.

On the 15th, a union of many years of love and unselfish devotion was severed by the cruel hand of Death. It is testified that this twain have walked most harmoniously during the long years of their wedded life. They trod the way of matrimonial union without jar or hindrance, as they had promised as they stood with joined hands before the hymenial altar. Pledging devotion to each other until death should separate them one from the other and break the ties that bound their loving hearts in one. Well, after many years of wedded and most harmonious fellowship, the dark winged angel enters the sacred precincts of the once happy home and claims as his victim the head of the family; and the day following returns and claims the wife of many years.

And so the twain are joined again for the silence of the tomb. And now there is nothing left but the vacant chairs and the sweet memories of other and happier years. But how much they will be missed. If by chance a loving sone or daughter should wend their way to the old familiar home as in other days, no more a loving mother's voice to greet them at the door or bid them enter in. Father and mother gone to the silent city of the dead. May all be able to kiss the rod and say: God's will be done, and the better days of the unexplored beyond may meet to take no more the parting hand, nor say again the sad farewell.

Funeral services were held at the Lighthouse church, conducted by Elder G.A. Brown, assisted by Rev. Thompson, pastor of the church. Internment was made in the Lighthouse Cemetery, Thursday, February 19, 1920.

Source Unknown

Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site