John O. Light 1812-1901

John Light, founder of Lightsville, was born in Lebanon Co., PA on July 17, 1812. His father was Martin Light, son of Henry Light, son of Henry Light, St., and who in turn was the son of John Peter Light, a native of Germany and the first known ancestor of the Light family in America. John Peter Light came to Lancaster Co., PA (now Lebanon Co.) on August 30, 1737.

John Light learned the weaver's trade and in 1836, in company with ten other families, emigrated to Ohio and then started overland for Illinois, arriving July 15, 1836. He was married to Catherine Schucker, a native of Schuylkill Co., PA. He was the second Postmaster at Lightsville and built the first school there at his own expense. John and Catherine Light were members of the Society of River Brethren. Their children were:

Tena (Dena), born March 2, 1846, who married Henry Schrader of Leaf River Township

Martin, born May 23, 1847. On December 24, 1867 he married Harriet J. Schrader, born September 20, 1846 in Leaf River Township. Their children were John H., Joseph Frank, Ira, and Cora A. who married Frederick Alden of Winnebago Co. Martin later married Lizzie Hiller who was born January 15, 1864 in Leaf River Township. She was the daughter of Edward and Mary A. Schreiber Hiller. Their children were Wilbur F., Edith, Lyman M., Marion, Mildred, and Shelby J.

John, born December 6, 1850, married to Lizzie Schreiber in 1877.

Catherine, born May 19, 1854, married John C. Pannenborg of Stephenson Co. in 1876.

Henry S., born March 17, 1856, married Amelia Schucker on June 28, 1877. Amelia was born in Freeport, Stephenson Co. on October 21, 1856, daughter of George and Sophia Dercho Schucker, natives of Germany.

Mary, born June 15, 1860, married Riley Motter of Stephenson Co. in 1879.

Joseph, born March 24, 1862, married Emma Motter in 1880, and died in Stephenson Co. October 18, 1898

Above from the "First 100 Years, Leaf River, IL" book published in 1982

Facts known about John O. Light:

Founded town of Lightsville, about 1 mile north of Leaf River, Ogle Co., IL
Arrived in Illinois July 15, 1836 from Ohio where he stopped after leaving PA.
Purchased his homestead from the government for $1.25 per acre.
He was the second postmaster at Lightsville suceeding Samuel Beeler. The Post Office was called "Wales".
He built the first school in Lightsville at his expense in 1843, it was destroyed by fire in 1938.
Opened a general store in 1844
In 1859 he divided his big timber woods into four and five acre lots which were sold to local residents.
In 1859, the North Grove Circuit, Rock River Annual Conference of the United Brethren in Christ, granted permission for the construction of a church to be built in Lightsville. The church and parsonage were built in 1860 on land donated by John Light.
Was School Director, Road Commisioner, and Road Master for many years.
According to Catherine Schucker Light's obituary they moved from Lightsville to Stephenson Co. in 1864 until 1886 when they moved to Leaf River.
Lightsville Cemetery was established and deeded by the Light family December 7, 1867 to the cemetery trustees.
Ogle Co. History book, published in 1878, says his great grandfather, John Peter Light came from Germany August 30, 1737 settling in Lebanon Co., PA

Submitted by Roger Cramer, second great-grandson of John Light

Return to Ogle Co. Genealogy Site