Sat. Jan 16th, 2021

The Byron Express
August 4, 1882


A feeling of sorrow pervaded our little city, early Sunday morning,occasioned by the sad intelligence that Peter Carter, one of ourmost respected and energetic citizens, had passed away to thatbourne from which no traveler returns. Death, the destroyer ofearthly happiness, had stepped into our midst and with his mercilesshand beckoned a man whom Byron delighted to honor, to follow himthrough those portals which no living man can pass.
Mr. Carter was a man in the prime of life, and late Saturdayevening he was seen and spoken to on our streets, apparently inthe best of health and spirits. He retired about half past nine,but about one o’clock he awake in great agony, and asked thata physician be sent for. Mrs. Carter immediately called L. H.Manson, who lives in rooms above, and he and a gentleman who wasspending the night with him, went down stairs. Dr. J. P. Waylandwas summoned, and remained with him until dissolution occurred,everything known to the profession being done to afford reliefto the sufferer, but without avail, and at about four o’clockhe passed away, never to know sorrow or pain any more.
The bereaved wife could scarcely realize that the dear one inwhom she had so long and fondly trusted, had been taken from herso suddenly, but as she saw the anxious looks on the faces ofthe few friends who had come to comfort her, and noted that thebeloved form lay quiet and breathless, she began to realize thatshe was left to fight life’s battles without his strong arm toaid her, and the intensity of her grief was such, grave fearswere entertained by friends that reason would be dethroned. Butafter she had become exhausted by her great sorrow, she becamequieter, and her friends succeeded in soothing her by their sympathyand kind ministrations.
Relatives and friends of the deceased were at once notifiedby telegraph and otherwise, some of them arriving early in themorning, the rest arriving later, and the deep sorrow depictedon their countenances was an indication of his strong hold onthe hearts of those who were most intimately acquainted with Mr.Carter’s private life.
The lifeless body was prepared for its last, long rest by kindand sympathizing friends and neighbors, while others were endeavoringto comfort and lighten the now heart-broken widow.
The last sad rites were held from his late residence of thedeceased, on Monday afternoon, at 3 o’clock, by Rev. Joseph Crummer,and the services were of the quietest and most unostentatiouscharacter, it being the special request of Mrs. Carter. The remainswere accompanied to the cemetery by a long procession of friends,and all that remained of our late townsman were solemnly laidin the cold embrace of the grave.
Peter Carter was born in Livingston county, N. Y., October 1,1824. He was married in the summer of 1847 to Miss A. J. Dake,and commenced his business life in the mercantile world, wherehe remained several years, but having made up his mind to acceptthe law as his profession, he entered the office of Hon. L. C.Peck, as a student, and remained with him until he was admittedto practice in the courts of the State of New York. He then enteredinto partnership with Mr. Peck, at Nunda, N. Y., which existeduntil Mr. Peck’s health failed him, when he left the firm, Mr.Carter remaining in successful practice at that place until thewinter of 1870. He then concluded to try his fortune in the west,and located at Rochelle, Ill., where he remained four years, butafter having his law office burned, together with his entire library,and valuable papers, he found it a difficult matter to practiceas he had formerly done, and becoming somewhat discouraged, heconcluded to again emigrate, and came to Byron eight years agolast May.
Upon reaching Rock River at this point, with his family, hewas compelled to wait several hours to allow the wind to abatesomewhat before attempting to cross. When he did cross, it wasat great peril to himself and family, but by his indomitable energyand great caution, they finally landed. Having determined toremain here permanently he at once set about establishing himselfin the practice of his profession and was eminently successful,until the year 1877, when he lost all his possessions in the greatByron fire, including his library. Nothing daunted by this secondgreat blow, he immediately rose to the occasion, and worked theharder to accumulate something to place his family in the positionhe wished them to occupy.
Just when he had gotten a new start, he met with an accident,from which he had not entirely recovered at the time of his death,which confined him to the house for months, and to the use ofhis crutch for nearly two years. He and his many friends fondlyhoped he had at last reached that point where he could enjoy thosecomforts of life he had labored so long and earnestly to acquire,when death came so suddenly and closed his useful and eventfulcareer.
Perhaps the man who did more toward securing a bridge acrossRock River at Byron, than any other, was Peter Carter. Wheneverthe interest of the people in regard to the bridge seemed on thewane, he stepped to the front and by his energy and thorough knowledgeof the subject, incited them to renewed exertions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.