Oregon Depot Restoration Project
The old Oregon train depot is under restoration by volunteers and through donations. Spearheading the project are Bob Rees of Oregon and Jerry Stauffer of Mt. Morris. The restoration is expected to take about two years.
The original building was built in 1872, but was destroyed by a fire in 1910. The construction on the current depot was completed in 1914. Use of the current depot was discontinued in 1985.
In June 1997, the depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
When completed, one room will honor servicemen who left their homes via the depot while another will house a railroad library and Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) viewing area.
The freight room will contain CB&O memorabilia and the ticket office will be restored to its appearance in 1950. Outside the building, brick platforms will provide a viewing shelter and picnic tables.
The Restoration Project Board welcomes volunteers and all donations.
Photos by Laverne M. Stauffer